04-11-2021 - Queering the Tarot for a World Beyond Binaries
Queering the Tarot for a World Beyond Binaries is an all-levels workshop that reclaims the tarot as an essentially queer tool that can help us break down binaries and feel empowered and embodied as our fullest selves. We’ll identify some of the patriarchal constructs that have become embedded in traditional tarot and offer alternative ways of understanding and reclaiming the cards for LGBTQIA+ people and allies. We’ll address best practices for reading for queer querents (and all querents!) and discuss how to tap into the energies of the most traditionally cis/het cards for queer empowerment, self-devotion, pleasure, and healing—because the Tarot is actually super queer! Taught by queer and non-binary tarot practitioner Charlie Claire Burgess (they/them), this workshop is created for LGBTQIA+ folx and welcomes allies and all who want to cultivate an inclusive tarot practice. Please bring a tarot deck of your choice. This class uses the Rider-Waite-Smith system as its foundation.
This workshop is for you if:
- you're a beginner OR a longtime card reader!
- are seeking new routes of divination practice
- you are a queer person
- you are a queer ally who is desiring cultivation of awareness + action
- a journal or notebook
- a tarot deck of your choice
- all your questions!
This is a LIVE digital event with a 1 week replay available to all registered participants. Due to this, no refunds are available.
- This is a live workshop, with a recording available for 1 week sent out to all registered participants.
- All workshops include live close captioning for the hard of hearing. Should you also require ASL interpretation, please email us at email@example.com.
- Buying this course as a gift? Please include recipient’s email address during checkout.
- We use Zoom for online workshops - please have the app downloaded if using a phone.
- Enrollment is accepted up until the day of the event.
- All participants are responsible for sourcing their own materials for this workshop.
- Technical difficulties on the attendees end (sound issues, tardiness, wifi connection, video cut out, etc) do not entitle attendees to a refund. We recommend signing on 10 minutes early to sort out any issues.
- Seagrape does not offer guidance around computer or Zoom usage, though we do send out a link including instructions on how to use Zoom 24 hours prior to all workshops.
- Honor the privacy of others; what is said and shared in a workshop is not meant to share outside of the workshop except for what instructors give permission to share.
- Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the instructor:
Charlie Claire Burgess (they/them) is a tarot reader and teacher, artist, writer, and witch. They’re the creator of Fifth Spirit Tarot, a queer and inclusive deck for a world beyond binaries, and the host of The Word Witch Podcast, an intersectional and queer-centered broadcast about tarot, astrology, magic, and belief. They teach tarot at Portland Community College and elsewhere in Portland, Oregon. Find them on Instagram @the.word.witch or at thewordwitchtarot.com.