11-21-2021 - Italian Folk Medicine: History & Modern Methodologies
During this class we'll learn about the folk medicine traditions of Southern Italy and the Italian American diaspora. These practices come from ancient roots and emerged in the Southern Italian paesani (peasants) and contadini (farmers) as a way to empower, protect, care for their families and villages. This rich cultural heritage was brought to Turtle Island by the Italian immigrants where it enabled them to remain grounded in their spiritual and familial lineage while adapting to the struggles of their new lives.
We will discuss:
- healing methods
- ways we can integrate these practices into our daily practices and work towards ancestral reconnection.
Topics of focus will include:
- The basics and origins of Italian folk medicine
- The impact of assimilation on Italian American cultural traditions
- Benedicaria and Stregoneria; magic, prayers, sacred symbols, and ritual
- Ancestral reconnection and plant medicine
- Apotropaic magic; Il malocchio (the evil eye) and the cimaruta (charm of rue)
- a journal + pen to take notes
This is a LIVE digital event with a 1 week replay video post class. Due to this, no refunds are available.
- This is a live workshop, with a recording available for 1 week sent out to all registered participants.
- All workshops include live close captioning for the hard of hearing. Should you also require ASL interpretation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Buying this course as a gift? Please include recipient’s email address during checkout.
- We use Zoom for online workshops - please have the app downloaded if using a phone.
- Enrollment is accepted up until the day of the event.
- All participants are responsible for sourcing their own materials for this workshop.
- Technical difficulties on the attendees end (sound issues, tardiness, wifi connection, video cut out, etc) do not entitle attendees to a refund. We recommend signing on 10 minutes early to sort out any issues.
- Seagrape does not offer guidance around computer or Zoom usage, though we do send out a link including instructions on how to use Zoom 24 hours prior to all workshops.
- Honor the privacy of others; what is said and shared in a workshop is not meant to share outside of the workshop except for what instructors give permission to share.
- Questions? Email us at email@example.com
About the instructor:
Lisa Fazio is a folk and clinical herbalist, astrologer, writer, mother, and the descendant of Irish and Italian immigrants. She lives on the traditional lands of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy in the foothills of the Adirondack mountains in what is now known as New York State. Lisa is a second generation Italian American, a practitioner of Benedicaria (the art of blessing, and a lineage witch whose Nonna (grandmother) was born in the city of Benevento, Italy that is also known as La Citta Delle Streghe (the city of witches). Lisa’s Nonno was born in the ancient village of Feroleto Antico in Calabria, Italy. She teaches courses on plant medicine and using plants for ancestral reconnection from an Italian American and traditional western herbalism perspective. Find Lisa on instagram here.